Thursday, July 17, 2014

Bloodlines: Bloodlines #1 by Richelle Mead

Today I'm going to be reviewing the first book in the Vampire Academy spinoff series- Bloodlines. If you don't know about the world of Vampire Academy, I have a premise of what it is on my review for Vampire Academy, which you can find here. You really do need to read the Vampire Academy series to appreciate this series, so if you haven't read those, you definitely should. I really recommend it.
There's something different about knowing all the characters before starting a series. You're already attached to these characters, so when you start, it's easier to really get into it. This series is centered around Sydney Sage, the Alchemist from the Vampire Academy books.
For those of you who have read the Vampire Academy books, but are yet to read the Bloodlines series, I'll give you a premise about what this series is about.
Sydney Sage is treading on troubled waters with the Alchemists for her missions with Rose Hathaway, a Dhampir who had been accused of murdering the former Moroi queen. In the attempts to prove her innocence, Sydney got tangled up in all the mess, and now is considered a "vamp lover" by some of her peers and superiors. By a close call, she avoids sending her sister into the world of being an Alchemist, and takes on the assignment to keep the Queen's sister safe from assassins, and make sure that Lissa can stay queen.
Well, I think that's all I'm giving you to go by. And I think that's plenty. This book was very enjoyable and fast paced, and any Vampire Academy fans will enjoy it. Now, it's time for spoilers, so if you haven't read it, I suggest you leave now, and come back.
I had a lot of fun with this book. I actually wrote down my suspicions and predictions as I was reading, and well, a lot of them were right, but some twists were crazy and unexpected.
At the beginning, there are all these hints to something bad that Keith did. I never thought that it would be rape. Because as immoral, and evil, and bad that is, I couldn't see Sydney's dad all that mad for that, because he adores Keith. I think Sydney's dad has shitty priorities, and his honor and pride goes above all. At first I thought that he was a blood whore, and he was letting some Moroi bite him because he wanted the high. Then I thought that he had some kind of tie to Tamara- Clarence's niece. For a while I thought he was the "vampire hunter" killing Moroi and trying to make them appear as if they were killed by Strigoi. I thought that was how he was getting vampire blood for the tattoos. I knew from the beginning that he was behind the tattoos. I just didn't know that someone was giving the blood to him willingly.
One more thing, before I move on. Keith's an ass. That's literally one of my notes. And you know who's also an ass? Sydney's dad. He's so degrading, and it's not okay.
At first I thought that Keith was just hijacking some Alchemist technology to tattoo rich kids and make money. I didn't even think that it was a possibility that he could have been using vampire blood. So when we found the blood, I thought he was the one killing the vampires.
At first, I was really skeptical about Micah, because Eddie just trusted him because he acted and looked like Mason, but now I feel like Micah's just Micah.
On Jill's very first day, she gets kicked out of her first class for a hangover. I fell over laughing at this, because it seems so stupid, accusing a 15 year old girl who's rooming with her older sister, and a boarding school would have gotten drunk. But, that's when I realized that Adrian and Jill were bonded. It explained the waking up in the middle of the night, and hangovers, and all that stuff. And when Jill admitted it, I was just like SCORE! I'M RIGHT! But poor Jill. And Sydney thought there was a possibility that Jill was pregnant. Once more, 15 YEAR OLD HIGH SCHOOL FRESHMEN.
Let's talk about Lee for a minute. You know there's something wrong when a college student "loves" a 15 year old high school freshmen. You know something is really wrong when said high school freshmen sneaks off with said college student, and said college student doesn't say anything to said high school freshmen's caretakers. Yup, there's something really unsettling about that kind of behavior. When he disappeared when Adrian was in LA, I considered for a second that he was killing the Moroi, but then I didn't think that he'd have a motive. When he cornered Sydney in Keith's apartment- that was....I was terrified. Is immortality really worth it? Especially if it's that kind of immortality. I mean, I'd prefer unicorn blood as means to keep me alive rather than become Strigoi. If you don't understand that reference, I'm very appalled. It's from Harry Potter. And it's very bad. It results in you living a half life, a cursed life. But living forever as a Strigoi has a more cursed lifestyle.  But Lee was crazy.
Ms. T... I can't spell her last name is a witch. That was something different. In the Vampire Academy books they never say anything about them. But that fire spell came in handy for sure.
Sydney and Adrian get Keith caught for doing his illicit trafficking of illegal vampire blood.
Adrian is well- Adrian. And I love him. He's funny, and sweet, and awesome.
Let's talk about Keith's eye. Sydney got Abe to do that.
It's so sweet how Sydney gets Adrian the apartment. In this book, there's no mention of Sydney and Adrian being together, but we all know that it's going to happen. And I kind of like that this book isn't centered around the fact that they can't be together. I mean, that's going to be the main theme/topic of one or more of the other books, that's for sure, but I'm glad that it wasn't introduced here, in the kickoff book, so it isn't the main theme of the whole series. I really loved this book. It made me laugh. It made me laugh. It made me laugh even more. I definitely recommend this series to Vampire Academy fans. And even if you weren't too fond of the Vampire Academy series, I recommend this, because this gets into action and excitement from the very beginning, unlike how the Vampire Academy books start kind of slow.
 Do you like it? What were your favorite parts? Who's your fave character? Tell me all that jazz in the comments, and I'll talk to you next time.
-Swathi 

No comments:

Post a Comment