Friday, July 25, 2014

Champion: Legend #3 by Marie Lu

Where do I begin? This book was great. Overall, I think I liked Prodigy the most. At this point, I think I'm going to just jump into the spoilers. If you haven't seen my review for Legend, check it out. I really recommend this series to anyone and everyone. Boy, girl, man, woman, teen, preteen, adult EVERYONE. But if you haven't read the book, I recommend you leave at this point. Or you'll be spoiled. Don't tell me I didn't warn you. 
So, 8 months after Prodigy ends, Day and Eden are living in San Francisco. I think this is pretty damn awesome, because I live in San Francisco. Well, I live very close to San Francisco. I identify as from San Francisco when I'm not in CA. Because I live in this shoebox-cornville town about an hour away from SF that no one knows about. So it's cool how they move to San Francisco. 
But Day is sick. I think he has a tumor in his brain. Something like that, that gives him chronic headaches. And Eden is getting better. But Day is getting worse. 
When it comes to characters, we mainly see Day and June. Secondary characters' roles are pretty secondary. 
I feel like Tess, and Anden, and Eden could have gotten more development as characters. Tess especially. We see some Anden and Eden, but Tess just gets sick, and stays in the shadows for a while, until she takes down that Colonies soldier. There after, she's pretty prevalent, but there were about 5 chapters after that. And Eden decided he would help find the plague cure, but he was also in the shadows for the main part of this book. And Anden, we see him, but we don't really understand who he really is. I just thought there was so much more room for him to become so much more than what he was. 
June and Day weren't together for most of this book either, and that made me kind of sad, because it was supposed to be his last few months, and they were apart for a lot of this book. 
Let's jump to the end. 
I really didn't like the end. It felt really anticlimactic. One second it's in this huge fight, where guns and weapons are all pulled out, and the air is full of airships, and bullets and hurt people, and the next second, we move to the hospital where Day's in a coma. The fighting obviously didn't just stop there, but we move so quickly, and we don't get to see the end of the fight, or the announcement of finding a cure or anything. 
I also didn't like how Day forgets who June is. I really didn't like that. And the re-acquaintance 10 years later- wasn't a fan. Day and June have had like no cutesy moments. Why couldn't they have t least gotten a cutesy ending? I don't know, the end just didn't do it for me. 
I think my favorites in order from most fave-least fave are: Prodigy, Legend, and Champion. This wasn't a bad book. The end just wasn't my thing. 
We also never really found out why they kept  Day's perfect trial score a secret. We got that they did tests on him, but we don't know what they discovered, or what the tests accomplished. I really wanted to know why they tested on him but let June live, but we didn't find out. 
What are your thoughts on this book? Did you like the end? Tell me in the comments and I'll talk to you next time. 
-Swathi

1 comment:

  1. I like books that occur where I live, or where I have spent time. It's cool unless it's obvious the author did not do any research and has the landscape completely wrong.
    But otherwise, it gives a feeling of kinship! Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete