Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Prodigy: Legend #2 by Marie Lu

SWITCHING UP THE PICTURE
Prodigy is book #2 in the Legend series, and right off the bat, I'm going to say that it was amazing. Nothing arguable about that fact. The characters develop so much more, and the plot is so fast paced, and the unexpected revelations and twists and everything was ah-maze-ing.
Oh where do I begin. This book made me laugh, it made me as close to crying as I can get (I'm not a crier)  and it was perfection.
Let's start with the laughs. Some of this dialogue was so funny, I was laughing out loud and repeating the dialogue out loud- to no one in particular; I was sitting in my room alone- but it was awesome dialogue.
 Here are some of my favorite quotes of dialogue:

June: Help me out. Tell me a story.
Day: What kind of story?
June: I don't know. Tell me about your first kiss. How was it?
Day: I was twelve. The girl was 16.
June: You must've been quite the smooth talker.
Day: Maybe. I was clumsier back then- almost got myself killed a few times. Anyway, she was working a pier in Lake with her dad, and caught me trying to smuggle food out of their crates. I talked her out of turning me in, and as a part of our deal, she led me off to a back alley near the water.
June: And she kissed you there?
Day: You could say that.

Day: All right, soldier to soldier. We, ah... we were hunting for a good place to... you know. We figured the engine rooms should work. *cue apologetic wink* I've been trying to get a kiss out of this girl for weeks. Knee surgery got in the way.
Guard: Ah, I see. She's a cute one.
Kaede: Like you said, I'm lat for inspections. We'll be fast- we're heading up to the top deck in a few minutes.
Guard: Good luck, you poor bastards.

Kaede: I had a really good story ready to tell him. Nice cover from you though. You think of that one all by yourself? Too bad I got stuck with such an ugly sidekick.
Day: Too bad I got stuck with such a liar.

That's what I mean, the dialogue is great.
WARNING: SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT
Characters:
Kaede has a lot more of a role in this book, and I really like her. She's so badass, and when she was flying that plane- that was freaking amazing. She didn't deserve to go the way she did.
Tess, on the other hand, was really annoying with her jealousy complex. It wasn't about betraying the Patriots. It was about her being jealous of June. June could have not betrayed anyone at all, and Tess'd still be mad. I mean, she has reason to be mad, but the way she goes about it is so annoying. That, and she's too young too be in love with anyone. She's 13. Simple as that.
Anden, the new Elector seems like a nice guy, and I want to like him. I'm not sure about him and June though, because it's not going to happen. He's setting himself up for heartbreak. He's the underdog. It's not going to happen. But I want him to be happy.
Day is still my favorite. I feel like in truth,put simply, June has caused a lot of his recent suffering. As bad as this sounds, I agree that she all but pulled the trigger on his mom. Nevertheless, June is smart. She makes these crazy unexpected revelations in her dreams, before anyone else realizes it. She's a genius. She's just so perceptive, and realizes when anything seems a tad bit off.
Metias was in love with Thomas. Go figure. I don't know how I feel about that. I feel like it was just thrown in there, it doesn't really have any significance per se. Thomas is  such a selfish jerk. God knows that if the tables were turned, Metias wouldn't have done it; but Thomas did. But, I do feel some pity for him. Because he honestly thought he had no other choice. Self preservation came first, which is usual. As much as all these brave characters will lay down their lives for the greater good, it's human nature to want to live. There isn't room for forgiveness, but there's pity.
Razor- this bastard deserves to die. If he could have died and Kaede lived- that would have been perfect. I always had this inkling that he wasn't really on their side. It just seemed too impossible that they'd have someone so high in the Republic military on their side. And it was. He's no better than Thomas. Scratch that; he's worse than Thomas. Thomas did what he thought he had to do. He didn't think he had any other choice, that would ensure his safety. He was putting himself first, but he wouldn't have if he could. Razor took advantage of everyone that had faith in him. Everyone who trusted him. It's his fcuking problem that he's gotten caught too many times, and he turns in everyone who he had working for him.

The Colonies:
 The Colonies seems like a more metropolitan country, and money equals power. From what I understood, and correct me if I'm wrong, was that it costs money to file police complaints. And that there is theft and stuff, but you need to pay to get police to investigate???? That's what I took from it. But it's a corporate place, and huge companies, and enormous prices and  things like that. I'd probably  prefer to live in the Colonies, because if I live in the Republic, I have worse odds of surviving. I mean, I wouldn't get any plagues, I wouldn't be experimented on, BUT my money would be in the hands of huge companies, and losing it would be very easy. It's a toughie.

The End:
I loved Day's speech from the top of a building. It was so eloquent, in an easy to understand way. They finally freed Eden and all the other kid's who were being used as bio weapon things against the Colonies. Everything was finally looking up, but now Day is terminally sick. When the doctor wanted to talk to him about something from his x-ray, I didn't even have time to dwell over it, because when I turned the page, I read what I dreaded to read. I can't believe it. Day was fine, okay, grand, and actually happy. And this had to come in and knock him down. And now June is going to take the job being the Elector's assistant-whatever it's called. But Day can't die. Right? HE CAN'T! I WON'T ALLOW IT!!!!!

Well, that's all for this review. I loved this book a lot, it's definitely one of my new favorites. What are your thoughts? Tell me in the comments, and I'll talk to you next time.
-Swathi

No comments:

Post a Comment