Monday, July 28, 2014

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

Rebel Belle is about a girl -Harper Price- who attains the magical powers of a Paladin when her school's janitor is dying because he was stabbed to death. And then she kills her history teacher with her high heel. That's where everything starts. I think it might be first in a series, but I'm not 100% sure. I mean, there is room for a sequel, but I don't know if it's certain that there will be a sequel.
I enjoyed this book, but I wouldn't say it was one of my favorites, for a lot of reasons. I went into this book with high expectations, because I'd seen so many good reviews, and my expectations weren't met.
One thing that annoyed me, random as it sounds, was how much the main character said "ugh". "Ugh" isn't really a word you use on paper. Let's keep it that way, and the word "ugh" was so prevalent, and I was really annoyed by that. Same with words like "eff". You say things like WTF or "what the eff" in text, you don't stay them aloud- and Harper does. I understand that Harper didn't like to swear, but she doesn't need to use the fake swear words in place of actual bad words. She can use different words all together.
Secondly, I found Harper- the main character- to be very frustrating. She's supposedly an A student, advanced classes, every extracurricular activity, student council president- but the way she sounds doesn't clue you in on any of that. She doesn't sound intuitive or anything, we're told that she is, but we don't see that- at least in my opinion. She sounds pretty stupid a lot of the time. And she's really vain, which is part of the whole southern belle theme.
Thirdly, the relationship that actually is- the relationship that's "developing"  in this book literally happens in the last 3 chapters. Harper and her love interest, who's name I shan't divulge to you, so I won't spoil.  They kiss, and realize what could be, and then the climactic sequence occurs, and they decide that they like each other. There's no real flirting, or alluding to why they feel that way. Early on, we see who the real love interest is, but it's only in the last 3 chapters that it actually becomes a thing.
And this love interest, is better than Harper, but we didn't see much of him, and he wasn't swoon worthy. Let's put it like that.
Overall, I feel like this was a contemporary book with some fantastical elements tossed in. The whole southern background wasn't doing it for me- I just didn't like it. I feel like so much more could have been done with this story. It's a cool concept, but the characters ruined it for me. I'll read the next book, if there is one, but overall I was disappointed with this book. I had really high expectations, and they just weren't met. I'd give it 3 stars.
Tell me. Do you agree or disagree with my opinions? Tell me your thoughts in the comments, and I'll talk to you next time.
-Swathi

2 comments:

  1. Hey Swati ... I have read a review about the book stating it as excellent and was looking forward to read it.... but now after yours . am confused... the southern setting you talked about seems as not working for me either...The cover is good ... in fact lovely and interesting... let see how I'll find it ! wishes, Kokila :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is gorgeous.The author/publisher did something right there. However, I'd seen so many good reviews as well, and it just didn't live up to my expectations. There are books where the southern atmosphere works, like the Beautiful Creatures books, but it just overshadowed everything in this book. I liked it, and there was some good dialogue, but overall it was disappointing. It got a 3/5 stars from me- I liked it, I didn't love it.

      Delete