Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Distance Between Us & On The Fence by Kasie West

Hi guys. Today I'm going to be doing a kind of "joint review", because there really isn't too much for me to split into two reviews. I saw a friend reading The Distance Between us a while ago, and I just thought the cover was fabulously cute. I love how they're actual people, but no faces. Faces screw up book covers. But then I saw that the author had another contemporary book, with an equally cute cover, so I hit myself up with both of them them and read them. Babbling aside, the two books I'm going to review are- you may already know this- The Distance Between Us and On The Fence by Kasie West. They're contemporary books, they're relatively short, and they're adorbs.com for when you just need something happy to read. I really enjoyed them, and they're quick little fun reads.
On The Fence is about Charlie, and how despite the way sees her neighbor Brayden as a brother, she finds that she has feelings for him. She's worried that if he doesn't reciprocate those feelings, they won't be friends anymore. It's so cute, and it will get you out of any reading slump. I have to say though, the cover is so ill-fitting. Charlie is the tomboy who's into sports, and doesn't even own a dress. Yet, on the cover we have this girl wearing a floral dress.
The Distance Between Us is about Cayman, a 17 year old girl who was taught that the rich are a terrible people. That they should be avoided at all costs. She works at the doll store with her mom, and she's falling for the rich grandson of a customer-Xander. The Distance Between Us is a metaphor, for the vast difference in their lifestyles. This book made me laugh. A lot. And usually contemporary doesn't make me laugh. Like ever. But Cayman's sarcasm is hilarious, and I really enjoyed it.
Like I said, these are really short books, and there isn't too much to really discuss. They're cute, the characters aren't frustrating or annoying, and they're just a nice change for someone like me, who lives in the world of fantasy and dystopian and not contemporary books.
The verdict? I say pick these up, they're quick reads, and while you won't be head-over-heels in love with them, you will like them, because there really isn't anything not to like about them.
That's all for this post. Do you like contemporary cuteness? Did you read these and enjoy them? Tell me in the comments, and I'll talk to you next time.
-Swathi

2 comments:

  1. i definitely agree with you on the 'On the Fence' book cover, i personally don't imagine Charlie to look like the girl on the cover but i still absolutely adored it and have the distance between us on my to read list! :)
    wonder reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Distance Between Us is adorable and funny.I personally loved it, and definitely recommend it.

      Delete