Friday, August 15, 2014

Onyx : Lux #2 by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: August 4th, 2012
My Rating: 5 STARS
Goodreads Blurb: Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…
Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.
Something worse than the Arum has come to town…
The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.
But then everything changes…
I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


My Thoughts: 
I recently reviewed Obsidian, the first book in the brilliant, beautiful, wonderful, hilarious, and awesome Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, so off course, I have to review the rest. If you haven't read Obsidian, for whatever reason, I suggest you go do that. I introduce the main characters in my review for Obsidian, so check that out. If you haven't read the book, I suggest you leave, because I'm going to talk about how I felt, and we're all going to discuss our feelings. So bye if you have yet to read the book.
So, right off the bat, we're introduced to a new character- Blake. At first, I'd thought that there was going to be real, legit competition between Daemon and Blake, because the rules don't prohibit Blake and Katy to be together, and Blake and Katy have more in common, and all that jazz.But it was pretty easy to catch on to the fact that it wasn't the case.
Let's start from the beginning though. Even before we meet Blake, Katy gets really sick. Like I told you in my Obsidian review,  if you look for them, you'll find Twilight parallels. And I really couldn't help myself with this one. It reminded me of the burning Bella experienced when she was becoming a vampire. But this was weird, because you can't become a Luxen.
Okay, we get past this though.
I love Daemon and Katy's not a relationship relationship in this book. I mean, they'll kiss in the library, but then seconds before and seconds later, they'll be screaming at each other. And when Katy's mom finds them in bed together. That was hilarious. That's one of the laugh-out-loud moments in this book. Personally though, Onyx wasn't as funny as Obsidian was, but that's just my opinion. 
Like I said, I'd originally thought that there would be some mild competition between Blake and Daemon, but those thoughts were squashed. I think that Katy should have listened to Daemon, because the whole situation seems fishy, right? Someone who's like Katy moves in exactly when Katy experiences the manifestations of these new powers- it's no coincidence. 
When Will first started making jokes about Daemon and Katy, I knew that he was bad. I didn't know how, but I knew. It's so bastardly, the way that the DOD drops people into places to build relationships with people, only to use them to get what they want. When Will called saying that Katy's mom was in trouble, it all just clicked together. 
Onyx, is the Luxen's kryptonite. And the cage they keep Katy in has onyx bars, and that caused her extreme pain. And I feel like reexplaining the whole climactic chapters would waste both of our time, as we've already read them,  but they were so well done. They had my figuratively biting my nails. I mean, I've never done that, but what I mean, was the anticipation of what would happen when I turned the page was so nerve-racking. 
In short, Blake kills Adam, and Dee blames Katy, and Dawson comes back, and Will is gone for the time being, they let Blake escape, and Katy and Daemon are together. 
I guess that's the best we could have hoped for. Once again, I have to end with a flashback, because I read this a while ago, so: when I read this, I thought it was a bittersweet ending, in the sense that we know that Daemon and Katy are together, and who doesn't ship them? And Dawson was back, and that brought some peace to Daemon and Dee. BUT, and there will always be a "but" with any JLA book that isn't the last book in the series, because Jen doesn't like giving her readers happy endings. She wants them to suffer and wait for her next books, which, can be torturous at times. Anyway, Dee blames Katy for everything, and Katy's sad that their friendship is in tatters. And with Dawson showing up on the last page, we had nothing to do but wait and wonder what happened next. 
In one last point, before I end this review, I want to tell you how spoilery I think the blurb for this book is. It gives away half of the main plot. I'm glad I didn't actually read it when I read the book, because it's so freaking spoilery. That is all. 
This was another great installment in the Lux Series, and I tell you, it gets even better. I recommend that you pick them up, and read them. Tell me your thoughts in the comments. Have you had the pleasure of reading Opposition yet? Tell me all that jazz in the comments, and I'll talk to you next time. 
-Swathi

2 comments:

  1. This whole series is amazing! Keep reading, you will not be disappointed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually read until book 4 so far. I'm waiting to finish up my reviews to get Opposition. That, and my parents are refusing to buy me books at the moment. It is an amazing series.

      Delete