Saturday, August 2, 2014

Take Me On (Pushing The Limits #4) by Katie McGarry

Take Me On is the forth companion novel for Katie McGarry's Pushing The Limits series. It takes place before the epilogue of Crash Into You. Crash Into You is about Isaiah and Rachel, and Take Me On is about Rachel's brother, West and Haley. I feel really stupid that it's taken me so long to pick this up. I was under the impression that it was coming out later, this fall. Little did I know, that it came out in MAY. Via Twitter, I realized that it was already out, and I picked it up, and started reading it.

I feel that Katie Mcgarry's books just get better and better. They have a similar main thread of story, but in each book, the thread is embroidered differently, and they don't feel repetitive. I feel so proud of myself for thinking of that metaphor.That aside, I think this was my favorite Pushing the Limits book yet.

At first I was skeptical of West, because I didn't really care much for him in Crash Into You, but he was shown in a much different light in Take Me On, and I came to like him a lot. We learn that through his eyes, he was protecting his sister, but through Rachel's eyes that wasn't exactly the case. West actually becomes determined, driven, and focused on what he'll have to do. And this reality check was long over due, given that he was the drinking, smoking party boy before.

The main female character, Haley is very different from most female contemporary characters. She's a kick boxer, and I think, that there's something really hot about any female character who can physically fight. This is the first contemporary I've read with a female fighter. In a lot of YA fantasy there are female characters who can fight, but it's rarer in contemporary from what I've seen. But I liked her from the first page. She was strong, loyal, and brave. She was able to stand tall in her situation, which wasn't a good one. She stood up for what she believed in when she was being told to shut up. She knew what she deserved, and wouldn't let herself be treated any less.

Anyway, Katie McGarry has a way of making you like her characters, and in this book, it wasn't any different. I loved West and Haley together. They're perfect for each other. I really enjoyed this book, and I really recommend that you read them. They don't need to be read in order, but it helps to read them in order, and they're more enjoyable to read in order, because the stories build on top of each other, and the characters develop through the series. I can't wait for the next book, which is about Noah & Echo, the characters from Pushing The Limits, and their road trip after high school.

Tell me your thoughts in the comments, and I'll talk to you next time.
-Swathi

2 comments:

  1. Again A great review... I thoroughly enjoyed it and even I am proud of you for that metaphor .. It made it easy to understand and beautiful to read :) Am joining ... wishes for reading, blogging and Life ... Thanks for commenting on my space :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means so much to me, that you like my reviews. Thank's for following :)

      Delete