Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Top 10 Tuesday: Books I Recommend for Someone Who Hasn't Read Fantasy


 Top 10 Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Today's topic is the top 10 books you'd recommend to someone who's never read .... In my case, the ... is fantasy, so I present to you, in no particular order, my Top 10 Books I Recommend to Someone Who Has Never Read Fantasy
1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling- duh. If you weren't/aren't allowed to read them, it's okay. But if you are making the decision not to read them, you are mental. Get your ass to the library/computer/bookstore and read them.
2. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare- This happens in the Shadowhunter world. I do think that the world is really interesting, because it brings in werewolves, faeries, vampires, and warlocks, and it does it in a way that is pretty damn awesome. Cassandra Clare is one of my favorite authors, and anything she writes is brilliant.
3. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare- This is the first book in the prequel series to the Mortal Instruments- The Infernal Devices. It also takes place in the Shadowhunter World. Set in London, it has a lot of familiar names, from the Mortal Instruments. Equally brilliant, and very fun.
4. Half Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout- This fantasy world is a spin on Greek mythology. JLA's writing style is so fun, and the main character in this series is really badass and awesome. I really recommend it.
I feel like I seem too preferential to JLA, because the next 2 recommendations are also by here.
5. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout- this is about aliens, which is a pretty different concept. There aren't too many young adult books about aliens, but this is. Like I said, Jen has this beautiful writing style, that is so enjoyable, and badass heroines. Oh, and the main character in this is a BOOK BLOGGER. I mean, she does Waiting on Wednesdays- I do those too! As do so many other book bloggers.
6. White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout- This is about something that I haven't ever seen in fantasy- not in children's books, middle
grade, or any other YA. It's about gargoyles. Which seems really weird, but with JLA's writing, a badass heroine, and a hot demon- it's amazing.
This next recommendation is going to be controversial. I just know it.
7. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer- I think Twilight is a good medium to ease someone into the fantasy genre. This really could be at the top of the list for this reason. I mean, if you jump into fantasy with all these strange terms, and creatures, and concepts, you won't have a single clue what the hell is going on. Twilight is fantasy, but it's at the brink of not really being fantasy, because of the way it's written, and the terms and concepts are pretty simple. But say you're a 15 year old girl, who has -for some odd reason- never read a fantasy book ever, Twilight can help you get into fantasy. And yes this may only apply to certain people, or certain age groups, but the fact remains the same, that this could potentially make someone who saw fantasy as a foreign concept, actually enjoy it.
This next one is really pushing it, because anyone who reads it, who hasn't read fantasy ever, will be really confused, but if you're an overachiever, and feel like jumping straight into complicated fantasy worlds, this is for you.
8. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor- This is a really cool fantasy setting, and it's
complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's an awesome book. Admittedly, I've only read the first book, but I'm planning to get to the 2nd and 3rd books soon. I really enjoyed the first book, and I look forward to reading the rest.
I couldn't not have these next two on the list. Can you guess what they are?
9. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
10. Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
These two series are some of my favorite series of all time. They're about vampires, and these vampires are definitely a step up from the Twilight vampires, but Richelle Mead's writing is funny, and fast paced, and it's really a really cool fantasy world. It's considered "dark fantasy" or "urban fantasy" or something like that, but IT'S FANTASY.
And that concludes my list. What was the ... in your TTT? Tell me in the comments. Happy Tuesday everyone, and I'll talk to you next time.
- Swathi

9 comments:

  1. Awesome list! I really want to check out Half Blood and Daughter of Smoke and Bone is on my tbr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Half Blood is really good. I recommend you don't check it out on goodreads before you read it, because certain reviews put these delusions of similarities to other series in your head. Trust me, that it's really good. I hope I didn't make you want to see the GR reviews even more....

      Delete
    2. Haha don't worry you didn't! And I know enough about some people on goodreads to not never really take their word for it. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm glad to hear it. It really pisses me off when people start their review with some huge, half true, negative statement. It really ruins the way you see the book. And once you see those huge statements, you have to read the reasoning behind the statement, and you look for the evidence that said reviewer claimed to see, and you start to doubt the book and it's just UGH

      Delete
  2. I actually really want to check out Half Blood, because I love stories about Greek Mythology! I just can't find a lot of good ones though. Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. The most well known, good Greek Mythology book series is Percy Jackson. The Covenant series world is different, but still based around Greek mythology. Really awesome books.

      Delete
  3. I love Daughter of Smoke and Bone! Great list, some of my all-time favorites are on there. Thanks for stopping by!

    Michelle from Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite surprised, I haven't read any of these books on your list. Looks like it must be time to go and raid the library. I didn't realise that there was a prequel series to Mortal Instruments. I've been wanting to read some Cassandra Clare after hearing how awesome her writing is, but I could only find the Clockwork books, which I thought came further along int he series. Looks like I can finally try reading one of her books now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't really have to read TMI before TID. The plots are mutually exclusive. The only similarity is that some of the characters are from the same families. You can very well read the clockwork books first. You should definitely read her books :)

      Delete